Some individuals have natural leadership qualities which become evident at an early age. Others can be taught how to be effective in leading roles. All leaders can and must continue to develop and improve their abilities if they wish to empower their team and help them to achieve mastery in their roles.
The key behaviours of respected and admired leaders include the following:
1. Be able to clearly articulate your vision and the goals necessary to realize it.
2. Encourage, nurture, acknowledge, and support your team members so that they feel important and capable of reaching their potential.
3. Follow the golden rule, it garners respect.
4. Stay close to the action, this can foster collaboration, build trust and increase personal empowerment.
5. Admit mistakes….being accountable invites honesty from others.
6. Be an innovative, intelligent decision maker, who is willing to take some risks.
7. Employ effective, open communication, especially active listening.
Remember……You will have achieved excellence as a leader when people will follow you anywhere, if only out of curiosity to see what you will do.